[Buildroot] Buildroot 2014.08 released

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Mon Sep 1 11:36:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

Buildroot 2014.08 is released - Go download it at:

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2014.08.tar.gz

or

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2014.08.tar.bz2

Or get it from Git:

git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or
bug tracker. Many thanks to the people contributing to this release:

git shortlog -s -n 2014.05..

   438	Gustavo Zacarias
   135	Yann E. MORIN
   127	Thomas Petazzoni
   101	Bernd Kuhls
    55	Thomas De Schampheleire
    54	Peter Korsgaard
    51	Francois Perrad
    34	Samuel Martin
    26	Baruch Siach
    15	Gary Bisson
    15	Waldemar Brodkorb
    13	Anton Kolesov
    13	Danomi Manchego
    13	Eric Le Bihan
    13	Fatih Aşıcı
    13	Romain Naour
    12	Yegor Yefremov
    11	Alexey Brodkin
    10	Fabio Porcedda
    10	Hadrien Boutteville
     9	Benoît Thébaudeau
     9	Cody P Schafer
     9	Jerzy Grzegorek
     9	Maxime Hadjinlian
     9	Peter Seiderer
     9	Vicente Olivert Riera
     8	Max Filippov
     7	Arnout Vandecappelle
     6	Joerg Krause
     6	Simon Dawson
     5	Yuvaraj Patil
     4	Arnaud Aujon
     4	Davide Viti
     4	Jérôme Pouiller
     4	Jörg Krause
     4	Marcelo Gutiérrez(UTN/FRH)
     4	Matt Weber
     4	Philippe Proulx
     4	Sagaert Johan
     4	Vivien Didelot
     3	David Bachelart
     3	Ezequiel García
     3	Luca Ceresoli
     3	Nathaniel Roach
     3	Oli Vogt
     3	Steve Thomas
     3	Vincent
     2	Alexandre Belloni
     2	Alvaro G. M
     2	Heiko Abraham
     2	Ivan Sergeev
     2	James Hogan
     2	Jeremy Kerr
     2	Jordi Llonch
     2	Pascal Huerst
     2	Peter Kümmel
     2	Ryan Barnett
     2	Stephan Hoffmann
     2	Sven Neumann
     1	Alvaro Gamez
     1	Andreas Naumann
     1	Angelo Compagnucci
     1	Arnaud Rébillout
     1	Clayton Shotwell
     1	Colin Didier
     1	Eric Limpens
     1	Eric Nelson
     1	Floris Bos
     1	Henry Margies
     1	Jason Pruitt
     1	Javier Domingo Cansino
     1	Jean-Baptiste Theou
     1	Jeff Bailey
     1	Johan Derycke
     1	Jonathan Ben Avraham
     1	Karoly Kasza
     1	Kim De Mey
     1	Marcin Bis
     1	Massimo Callegari
     1	Mischa Jonker
     1	Phil Eichinger
     1	Pieter De Gendt
     1	Rick Taylor
     1	Spenser Gilliland
     1	Xh Xiao
     1	alex.bennee at linaro.org

And a special thanks to our patch reviewers:

git log 2014.05.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | \
    sed 's/.*[bB]y: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

    137 "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr>
     24 Samuel Martin <s.martin49 at gmail.com>
     23 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <arnout at mind.be>
     22 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>
     12 Thomas De Schampheleire <thomas.de.schampheleire at gmail.com>
     12 Gustavo Zacarias <gustavo at zacarias.com.ar>
      6 Markos Chandras <Markos.Chandras at imgtec.com>
      4 Luca Ceresoli <luca at lucaceresoli.net>
      4 Bernd Kuhls <bernd.kuhls at t-online.de>
      2 "Spenser Gilliland" <spenser at gillilanding.com>
      2 Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>
      2 Thomas De Schampheleire < thomas.de.schampheleire at gmail.com>
      1 Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot at savoirfairelinux.com>
      1 Ryan Barnett <ryan.barnett at rockwellcollins.com>
      1 Markos Chandras <markos.chandras at imgtec.com>
      1 Eric Le Bihan <eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr>
      1 Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123 at gmail.com>

Once again our autobuilders have helped us fix a huge amount of build
issues. Thanks to all the people reviewing failures and fixing issues:

for i in $(git log --format=%H 2014.05..); do \
    git show --quiet $i | grep -q http://autobuild && \
    git show --quiet --format="%an" $i ; done | sort | uniq -c | \
        sort -rn -k1

     49 Gustavo Zacarias
     42 Thomas Petazzoni
     29 Bernd Kuhls
     15 Yann E. MORIN
     14 Peter Korsgaard
     11 Baruch Siach
      9 Romain Naour
      7 Francois Perrad
      7 Anton Kolesov
      6 Samuel Martin
      5 Yuvaraj Patil
      4 Max Filippov
      3 Vicente Olivert Riera
      2 Fatih Aşıcı
      2 Eric Le Bihan
      2 Arnaud Aujon
      2 Alexey Brodkin
      1 Peter Seiderer
      1 Maxime Hadjinlian
      1 Marcelo Gutiérrez(UTN/FRH)
      1 Luca Ceresoli
      1 Jörg Krause
      1 Alexandre Belloni

The autobuilder graph shows a very nice decrease in build issues during
the stabilization phase:

http://autobuild.buildroot.net/stats.php

This time again we had more than 80 unique contributors! I'm very happy
to see so many "new" people next to the "oldtimers". It was also a very
busy cycle with close to 1400 commits (a new record I believe) and
changes all over the tree. Also a special thanks to Thomas Petazzoni for
handling the maintainer duties while I was away!

Of noteworthy new features we have:

 - Architecture: PowerPC64 BE/LE added, AVR32 deprecated.
   Improved altivec / SPE /atomic instructions handling. Additional
   PowerPC CPU variants added.

 - Defconfigs: Atmel SAMA5D3, Congatec QMX6, Lego ev3, TS-5x00,
   qemu-system-xtensa, qemu-aarch64-virt added. A number of tweaks to
   existing ones. lpc32xx defconfigs removed.

 - Toolchain: Microblaze support for internal musl toolchain.
   Default to GCC 4.8 for internal toolchain, remove deprecated 4.3 and
   4.6 versions.
   External CodeSourcery / Linaro toolchain updates, option to copy
   gconv libraries for external toolchains.

 - Infrastructure: graph-depends: misc fixes, transitive dependencies
   are not drawn by default. Download handling is now done using helper
   scripts. Integrity of downloads can now be verified using sha*
   hashes. Subversion download now uses peg revisions for robustness.

   Legal-info: License info of local or overridden packages are saved as
   well. Toolchain packages are also taken into account.
   autotools: Static linking with libtool / v1.5 improvements.
   Gettextize support, similar to autoreconf.

   kconfig package infrastructure added.

 - Large number of new packages (64):
   Multimedia: imx-vpu, libglew, libglu, libmpdclient, libva,
   libva-intel-driver, ncmpc, opencore-amr, sox, twolame
   Perl extensions: perl-datetime-tiny, perl-gd, perl-gdgraph,
   perl-gdtextutil, perl-io-socket-ssl, perl-json-tiny, perl-mojolicious,
   perl-net-ssleay, perl-path-tiny, perl-try-tiny, perl-xml-libxml,
   perl-xml-namespacesupport, perl-xml-sax, perl-xml-sax-base,
   Python extensions: python-cffi, python-daemon, python-flup,
   python-ipython, python-numpy
   Networking: flickcurl, geoip, linux-zigbee, sshpass, whois
   Misc: gnupg2, kexec-lite, memcached, patchelf, ..

And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/plain/CHANGES?id=2014.08

Next release will be 2014.11. Expect the first release candidate late
October, and the final release at the end of November.

The next developers meeting will take place just before the Embedded
Linux Conference Europe in Düsseldorf, Germany:

http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysELCE2014

We are still looking for companies willing to sponsor this Developers
Meeting. The budget is in the 250-500 EUR range, so it's fairly cheap
for most companies, but allows us to cover the cost of the meeting room,
and optionally the Saturday dinner for the participants.

Enjoy!

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard