[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2015-08-05

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Mon Aug 10 18:08:49 UTC 2015

Hi Alexey, Hi Thomas,
Alexey Brodkin wrote,

> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Mon, 2015-08-10 at 13:36 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > Dear Alexey Brodkin,

> > > I already commented on that one.
> > > Basically gnuradio includes source from boost and in boost itself they
> > > use syscall directly if (__GLIBC__ == 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ < 8) which
> > > is the case for uClibc, see http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/tree/include/features.h#n395
> > > -------------->8--------------
> > > #define	__GLIBC__	2
> > > #define	__GLIBC_MINOR__	2
> > > -------------->8--------------
> > >
> > > From Boost standpoint this looks like some sort of backward compatibility for older
> > > glibc that didn;'t have eventfd() defined.
> > >
> > > So probably  the best option here is to bump __GLIBC__/__GLIBC_MINOR__ in uClibc.
> > > Maybe Waldemar may comment on that?
> >
> > Can't we instead patch boost to use a || defined(__UCLIBC__) or
> > something like that?
>
> Well we may try but grep for __GLIBC_MINOR__ returns at least 10 files with matches.
> That's why I'd prefer to just reuse existing code with __GLIBC__/__GLIBC_MINOR__.
>
> If we may just say that  we're on par with say __GLIBC__=2 __GLIBC_MINOR__=10 that
> will cure a problem with Boost.
>
> Let's get Waldemar's opinion on that and if he says __UCLIBC__ is the way to go we'll
> figure out who's going to create that patch :)
>
> See I sent 2 emails to Boost mailing list:
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/07/224257.php
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/07/224404.php
> and haven't heard back.
>
> So it might take a while until these guys accept our patch if at all.

May be we should do both. I can add __GLIBC_MINOR__=10 to uClibc-ng
and Alexey tries to get the || defined(__UCLIBC__) included into
boost.

Alexey, do you think we will get any regression by incrementing the
minor number for other architectures? I will try some boost compiles
later.

But do not forget, buildroot uses ARC specific uClibc fork, so it
will not fix the problem, until we switch to uClibc-ng for ARC.

best regards
 Waldemar