[Buildroot] xtables-addons does not build for arm kernel 4.1.4

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Aug 17 21:52:18 UTC 2015

 > Hello Gustavo,
 > I am trying to compile xtables-addons by Buildroot, however, I get a lot
 > of "undefined!" warnings and some errors.

 > I build with:
 > - Buildroot (master: 15a53b93a034af78)
 > - internal toolchain
 > - Linux 4.1.4.

 > The Buildroot is patched by http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2015-August/137485.html
 > for the olinuxino lime2 support. However, the same issues come with olimex_a20_olinuxino_lime_defconfig.

 > My setup is:

 > $ make olimex_a20_olinuxino_lime2_defconfig
 > $ make menuconfig
 >   enable Target packages/Network Applications/xtables-addons
 > $ make

 > And I end up with:

> buildroot-a20/output/build/xtables-addons-2.7/extensions/compat_xtables.mod.c:9:2: error: unknown field ‘name’ specified in initializer
 >   .name = KBUILD_MODNAME,

The problem is that you don't have modules (CONFIG_MODULES=y) support
enabled in your kernel, as the sunxi_defconfig in the kernel until very
recently didn't enable that - But it is naturally needed to build the
xtables-addons modules.

Arguably Buildroot should automatically enable this for you when
enabling the xtables-addons package, similar to how it is done for the
netfilter options even though it is quite a "big" option to enable
behind your back. Alternatively we could simply error out with a
sensible message like it was recently done for the pkg-kernel-module
infrastructure.

 > I can build xtables-addons from git (tag 2.7, e277360) for both Linux 4.1.4 and 4.1.5 on
 > x86_64 by the standard xtables-addons build-system (without Buildroot).

You most likely have modules support in your x86-64 kernel.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard