[Buildroot] CMake and VERBOSE variable

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Aug 31 22:34:49 UTC 2015

On 31-08-15 14:35, Cédric Marie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 31/08/2015 09:28, Thomas Petazzoni a écrit :
>> Arnout, Cédric,
>>
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 01:10:39 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>>
>>>   For autotools it depends a lot on the version. Relatively recent automake (at
>>> least 1.15) has the V=0/1 option, but it defaults to 1 I think.
>>
>> It actually depends on how AM_SILENT_RULES is used:
>>
>>   * If it's not used, then the build is verbose, and V=0/1 has no effect.
>>
>>   * If AM_SILENT_RULES is used, with no special argument, then it
>>     defaults to verbose (V=1), but can be made quiet by passing V=0
>>
>>   * If AM_SILENT_RULES([yes]) is used, then it defaults to quiet (V=0)
>>     and can be made verbose by passing V=1.
>

> So I think the best way to manage it is to be explicit: "V=0" when nothing is
> specified (because we want the default to be silent), and "V=1" when V=1 from
> the command line.

 Actually, we want the default to be the package build system's default, I
think. So do nothing when nothing is specified, and add V=1 when V=1 is specified.

> In worst case, it is not taken into account.
> Otherwise, it is correctly managed, whatever the default setting of AM_SILENT_RULE.
>
> NB: I said that the behaviour was kept unchanged, but in fact there is one case
> that seems to be better handled with my modification: when AM_SILENT_RULES is
> used without argument (i.e. the default is verbose). Now we turn it to quiet by
> forcing explicit V=0.

 Perhaps we could do that when V=0 is passed explicitly on buildroot's top-level
make.

 BTW, this stuff should also be tested from an output directory and with a
non-022 umask.

 Regards,
 Arnout