[Buildroot] Issue with host-erlang-rebar causing timeouts

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed May 27 21:18:11 UTC 2015

On 05/21/15 22:04, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Johan,
>
> On Thu, 21 May 2015 21:47:26 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>
>> Maybe I should set up a cronjob that checks every minute if we are in
>> this situation, and send me an e-mail, so that maybe I can catch the
>> situation while it's happening, and see a bit more what's going on. I
>> don't really have better ideas :/
>
> Turns out that right after sending this e-mail, I checked, and one of
> the build was stuck exactly in this situation. The process tree is like
> this:
>
> 23332 pts/5    S+     0:01  |       \_ python ../buildroot-test/scripts/autobuild-run -c autobuild-run.conf
> 23969 pts/5    S      0:00  |       |   \_ timeout 28800 make O=/ssd1/thomas/autobuild/instance-2/output -C instance-2/buildroot BR2_DL_DIR=/ssd1/thomas/autobuild/instance-2/dl BR2_JLEVE
> 23970 pts/5    T      0:19  |       |       \_ make O=/ssd1/thomas/autobuild/instance-2/output -C instance-2/buildroot BR2_DL_DIR=/ssd1/thomas/autobuild/instance-2/dl BR2_JLEVEL=4
                 ^
 This means that the 'make' instance either got a SIGSTOP or ptrace(). Is there
some administrative process running on that machine that is doing something
funky with it? Or is it the autobuild-run script that is sending some signal?

> 10928 pts/5    Z      0:00  |       |           \_ [bash] <defunct>
>
> So basically, the Buildroot "make" invocation only has one child
> process: a bash process that is defunct. This instance is really stuck
> in the ./bootstrap call:

 No it's not, bootstrap is finished already, but the stopped make hasn't reaped
it yet. Actually, even the make has finished already...

> make[1]: Entering directory '/ssd1/thomas/autobuild/instance-2/output/build/host-erlang-rebar-2.5.1'
> ./bootstrap
> [nothing else]

...but somehow the output of that finished make has not yet ended up in the log
file...

 Mysterious...

> I tried running the exact make command that builds host-erlang-rebar in
> a terminal, inside the build directory of this build, and it worked
> perfectly fine. So even more puzzled.

 Have you tried running it within the timeout? Maybe that one is doing SIGSTOP
or ptrace() for some reason...

 Regards,
 Arnout