[Buildroot] Building for ARM

Ed Swierk eswierk at arastra.com
Sat Aug 12 23:53:27 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Brian C. Lane <bcl at brianlane.com> wrote:
> 3. I added the buildroot tools to the beginning of the path and try to
> compile the kernel with:
>
> export PATH=../buildroot/build_armeb/staging_dir/bin:$PATH
> make CROSS-COMPILE="armeb-linux-" ARCH="arm" bzImage
>
> I get this result:
>
> CC      arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
> cc1: error: invalid option ?little-endian?
> cc1: error: invalid option ?apcs?
> cc1: error: invalid option ?no-sched-prolog?
> cc1: error: invalid option ?abi=apcs-gnu?
> arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:1: error: bad value (armv4) for -march= switch
> arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:1: error: bad value (arm9tdmi) for -mtune=
> switch
>
> It is acting like the compiler doesn't support arm, but I obviously set
> the PATH and CROSS-COMPILE to point to the buildroot tools.

Not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but adding a relative
pathname to PATH doesn't seem like a good idea. Try
PATH=$(pwd)/../buildroot/build_armeb/staging_dir/bin:$PATH instead.

> Does anyone have any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I've also done a
> bunch of googleing and haven't come up with a decent howto for building
> a basic system (coverage of uclibc, busybox and buildroot are great, but
> none seem to talk about the kernel).

The various kernel makefiles under the targets directory are
instructive; I created a fairly generic linux kernel makefile based on
those. See the attached patch if you want to try it out for yourself.

--Ed