[Buildroot] Bootloader (grub?)

Philippe Ney philippe.ney at pardes.ws
Mon Aug 21 05:52:26 UTC 2006

> Which bootloader do you-all recommend for an x86 (Via EPIA) system
> booting from a compact flash card?
>
> I have been trying to set up grub, just because that is the one I am
> used to. First I found it wouldn't build (due to a makefile problem
> reported in Jan.). Then I found the patch file called for is no longer
> on the source server. These make me think it isn't getting much use.
>
> When I finally got it all compiles, I couldn't find any trace of it in
> the target file system.  I guess it could be nicely put into the MBR for
> me. But shouldn't there still be some files (/boot/grub/*)?
>
> Do I just need to create the menu file manually?
>
> Don Reid

Hi Don,

I use grub on EPIA/iDoC system with the following lines in my grub.mk

GRUB_SOURCE:=grub_0.95+cvs20040624.orig.tar.gz
GRUB_PATCH=grub_0.95+cvs20040624-17.diff.gz
GRUB_SITE=http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/grub

And the packages are both availlable.

What target did you build ? I guess the only one target using grub is
the iso9660 one.

But if you want to install a firmware on the compact flash, you have
to write an installer that will run the grub shell to set the MBR.

Philippe