[Buildroot] Build fails with zlib.h not found

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Dec 1 08:17:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 23:36 +0100, Michael Moser wrote:
> I try to build a tool chain and initial filesystem for a xscale
> prozessor which uses a jffs2 file system. This fails with the following
> messages:
>
>  > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/michael/development/buildroot/toolchain_build_arm/mtd_orig/util'
>  > gcc -I../include -O2 -Wall -g -c -o mkfs.jffs2.o mkfs.jffs2.c -g -Wp,-MD,.mkfs.jffs2.c.dep
>  > mkfs.jffs2.c:68:18: zlib.h: File or Directory not found
[skip]
> Can anyone give me some hints?

Since mkfs.jffs2.c is compiled by gcc for the host system, you need the
zlib development package on the host system.  It's called zlib-devel on
Fedora and provides both the header and the library.  I'm not sure about
other distros, but it's likely a similar name, something matching
{libz,zlib}{,1}-{dev,devel}

Pavel Roskin