[Buildroot] Issue preparing a buildroot

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 15:09:25 UTC 2006

Daniel Silverstone <dsilvers at ...> writes:

> Does anyone here have experience of getting buildroot going on an
> Ubuntu/edgy system, or even experience of resolving such an error?

/space/dsilvers/dev-simtec/buildroot-curl-support/
 toolchain_build_i686/uClibc_dev//usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26:
> error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
>
> I hope you can help,
>
> Thank,
>
> D.

Well it's often possible to temporarily 'fix' such issues by means of a
symbolic link to the right place; as long as it's limited in scope,
the use of an 'external' limits.h file shouldn't break anything ....?!

I would have thought there was an add-in package that would supply
the missing headers - surely we are not in Windows "hide system files"
territory ?

I don't know whether Ubuntu is missing the entire /linux subdirectory
or just the limits.h file, but just add the minimum required to get past
this obstacle, i.e. don't link to the /linux directory if you can help it,
just create an empty one (if missing) and add a symlink to the
existing limits.h file.

In this way the possible side-effects of using a 'foreign' file are
reduced, and you use as much as possible from the correct toolchain.

The above is *not* from direct Ubuntu experience, but I have made
'enabling' fixups in the manner described to get things to build
before now.

Regards,
Mike