[Buildroot] ARM softfloat patch for gcc 4.2

Andre armcc2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 08:24:03 UTC 2006

Bernhard Fischer <rep.nop at aon.at> wrote:

> Did you read the PRs mentioned above? Especially the thread
> mentioned in PR16314, comment #1 ?

Yes, I did. It refers to problems associated with creating softfloat
toolchains for ARM cores supporting "Maverick Crunch" floating point
hardware, which are _very_much_ in the minority (only the Cirrus
Logic EP9312 as far as I know, which isn't even a supported 'Target
Architecture Variant' from buildroot's point of view...).

Certainly doesn't seem like a good reason to hold back on softfloat
for the rest of the ARM community...

> If binutils defaults to not creating softfloat code in a toolchain
> that was ment to be softfloat-(only?), then that sounds like a
> glitch, yes. Does that work as expected with 2.17.50.0.8?

No, binutils 2.17.50.0.8 has the same problem.

Although buildroot tries to configure binutils with
'--with-float=soft' binutils seems to silently ignore that option...

Andre