[Buildroot] Kernel Panic .....

Joe Pruett joey at clean.q7.com
Wed Dec 20 04:42:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>
> > I am trying to boot the image as an initrd filesystem over pxe, but I see
> > an error
> > 'Unpacking initramfs...<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: bad gzip magic numbers'
> >
> > in my pxelinux.cfg/default
> >
> > label test
> >   kernel linux-kernel-2.6.19.1-i386
> >   append ramdisk_blocksize=4096 initrd=rootfs.i386.ext2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=524288
> >
> > Is there anything I am required to change to make this kernel and image
> > work over booting from pxe ?
>
> I needed to build some RAM disk drivers into the kernel.

how exactly did you do that?  that is where i have finally gotten after
making that kernel-patches directory (as you also just posted) and fixing
the problem that grub no longer has a -19 version at debian.org (-20 seems
to be working).  i made an iso image and ran into the same kernel panic
because it seems to want a cpio image.  i have just rebuilt using the
linux26.config file instead of busybox.config and will be booting in a few
minutes to see how that goes...