[Buildroot] Kernel Panic .....

Robin Mordasiewicz rmordasiewicz at samuelmanutech.com
Wed Dec 20 04:47:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Joe Pruett wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to boot the image as an initrd filesystem over pxe, but I see
>>> an error
>>> 'Unpacking initramfs...<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: bad gzip magic numbers'
>>>
>>> in my pxelinux.cfg/default
>>>
>>> label test
>>>   kernel linux-kernel-2.6.19.1-i386
>>>   append ramdisk_blocksize=4096 initrd=rootfs.i386.ext2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=524288
>>>
>>> Is there anything I am required to change to make this kernel and image
>>> work over booting from pxe ?
>>
>> I needed to build some RAM disk drivers into the kernel.
>
> how exactly did you do that?  that is where i have finally gotten after
> making that kernel-patches directory (as you also just posted) and fixing
> the problem that grub no longer has a -19 version at debian.org (-20 seems
> to be working).  i made an iso image and ran into the same kernel panic
> because it seems to want a cpio image.  i have just rebuilt using the
> linux26.config file instead of busybox.config and will be booting in a few
> minutes to see how that goes...

Not sure if I am following you. I think you may be getting the kernel
config and the busybox config confused. The documentation for customizing
busybox does not mention modifying the kernel, but what I did to customize
the kernel is something like the following.

cd build_i386/linux-2.6.19.1
cp .config .config.original
make mrproper
make menuconfig