[Buildroot] Persistent tarball repository

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 15:46:32 UTC 2006

Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at ...> writes:

> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 14:23 +0000, MikeW wrote:
> > I found to my annoyance that 'make distclean' clears out
 your downloaded .tar.gz
> > files in /dl, which could be a pain if you hadn't realised
 that (and was, since
> > there appears to be a problem with ftp.kernel.org
 so I got the file 'manually')

> > May I ask if there is a setting to allow these files
 to be cached somewhere that
> > 'distclean' doesn't clear out ?
> > Might also be useful on a server in a team environment
 to ensure everyone
> > uses the same reference downloads without local duplication
 and time penalty.

> make clean?

Yes, but 'make clean' only removes object files, causing a straight rebuild from
source, 'distclean' is supposed to remove any make-generated/config files as
well - IIRC.

Which is not quite the same as deleting all your patiently downloaded
tarballs as well !

So I just wondered if there was a way to either allow distclean to spare
the package source files, or alternatively, if you could 'get' from a
local repository rather than having to download via FTP/HTTP, if your
required file existed.

Regards,
MikeW