[Buildroot] Are skel.tar.gz and target_skeleton folder duplicates ?

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Nov 15 06:56:26 UTC 2006

On Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03:54:22PM +0100, Benjamin Delagoutte wrote:
> Eventually I don't really understand why Buildroot makes use of
> two different prebuilt trees. Do someone mind explaining me the
> goals of this weird strategy ?

We used to use CVS as our revision control system.  CVS refused
to store and restore empty directories and symlinks.  As a result
we ended up using a tarball for these items rather than a simple
directory full of stuff.  But using a tarball proved to be a real
pain, since using a tarball to store files which tend to be
modified (such as the stuff under /etc for example) is unwieldly
at best.  So I created the current hybrid approach.

Subversion is a much more sane revision control system, so I
think we can probably consolidate things now.

	<sound of hacking in the distance>

Fixed.  Thanks for bringing this up.

 -Erik