[Buildroot] 'ld' gives "unrecognised emulation mode" - ARM toolchain unbuildable ??

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 19:19:05 UTC 2006

MikeW <mw_phil at ...> writes:

> MikeW <mw_phil <at> ...> writes:
>
> > During building libgcc, I get the message
> > ->>
> > /home/fred/buildroot/build_arm_nofpu/staging_dir/
> >  arm-linux-uclibcgnueabi/b in/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: armelf_linux
> > Supported emulations: armelf_linux_eabi
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[3]: *** [libgcc/./_udivsi3.oS] Error 1
> > -<<
>
> Fixed by setting GNU target suffix to 'elf-linux' instead.
>
> Regards,
> MikeW

Except that objects created by the toolchain have EABI version = 0 !!
I need EABI version = 4 for compatibility :(
So that suggests that I need a target suffix containing '-eabi'.

Any ideas ?

I mean, where is this stuff documented - I've trawled through gcc docs
and not found anything that explains these problems.
I'm presumably not the only person to encounter this issue !

Mike