[Buildroot] new DHCP version and make error

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Nov 28 23:59:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 17:37 -0500, Marc Lindahl wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I'd like to see buildroot become a distribution over time.
>
> I thought buildroot was a distribution building system, not an actual
> distribution...

OK, let's call it a distribution building system.  Once Buildroot 1 is
released and the work starts on Buildroot 2, Buildroot 1 needs to remain
functional for some time.

It could be updated for security, but updating it just to reflect
changes on the Web (such as new download locations) would be too much
work.

Of course, the task of mirroring could be relegated to the creators of
the specific distributions, but I think the buildroot project shouldn't
miss an opportunity to become more relevant to the embedded community.

There are cases when stability of the platform is highly desirable.  If
buildroot itself provides it, we'll see more people dealing with it
directly rather than through distributions based on some old snapshot.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin