[Buildroot] can't resolve symbol bcopy

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Wed Sep 20 16:24:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:34:24PM +0800, Qiu Yu wrote:
>Hi, all
>
>Paid some effort, I finally got my first buildroot-made rootfs image for
>mipsel platform, but this pleasure did't last long.
>
>When I mount it on my board, after kernel started, I got an error message:
>"bin/sh" can't resolve symbol bcopy

Either enable legacy support in uClibc (i wouldn't do this), or make
sure that busybox doesn't contain bcopy which itself is flagged
DEPRECATED

Same goes for bzero which, too, is deprecated and generates equal size
to a plain memset with any reasonable version of gcc anyway.

That said, current busybox trunk doesn't contain bcopy, i don't have a
1.2 tarball at hand to see if it's erroneously used there.

Only recently one instance of bzero was erroneously added to busybox:
http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-September/024328.html

If uClibc was cleaned up properly NOT to provide fallback defines behind
your back for e.g. bzero, then you'd have seen a proper compile failure
(there most likely was an error about a call to "(bcopy)(s,d,sz)"
somewhere in your make output anyway...).