[Buildroot] Building external modules

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 13:35:04 UTC 2007

Ulf Samuelsson <ulf at ...> writes:

> There are plenty of examples in the "packages" directory.
>
> Take an arbitrary directory inside that directory,
> copy it and rename to copy to the name of your external module
> Update the config.in and <package>.mk files in the new
> directory, remove any patches and update "packages/Config.on"
>
> /done
>
> If you want to have linux kernel modules, you can patch the linux kernel
> after it is unpacked, and then the linux26.mk will insert the module
> in the correct place.
>
> Best Regards
> Ulf Samuelsson

Even so, it would be nice if there was something halfway between ...
a) the minimalist example in the buildroot doc page
b) reverse-engineering one of the existing packages, which may
have been done in an idiosyncratic manner

A canonical (fully commented) best-practice example.
Or perhaps "how I went about implementing a package.mk" indicating
the various decisions to be made.

Best regards,

MikeW