[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot: package/lzmatarget/linux toolchain/kern etc...

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Fri Aug 17 13:23:06 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Lundquist" <lists at zelow.no>
To: <buildroot at uclibc.org>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot: package/lzmatarget/linux toolchain/kern etc...

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 11:17:41AM -0700, ulf at uclibc.org wrote:
>>
>> Log:
>> Ensure lzma is built *before* linux, allow system installation in /usr/local/bin
>
> I don't agree with this one. I want host tools put in
> STAGING_DIR/bin or usr/bin, not outside the toolchain/buildroot.

It *will* always be put in "STAGING_DIR/usr/bin".
The new configuration item allows you to put it in /usr/local/bin as well, an extra feature.
STAGING_DIR/usr/bin/lzma will still be available.

Buildroot won't find "STAGING_DIR/usr/bin/lzma" so you have to do
PATH:=$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin:$(PATH) outside buildroot.

This is not obvious, so the linux compile will fail for all newbies.

> It's alot cleaner and feels right.

Except that it will break the build.

> And it's not given that the user are allowed to put the binary there
> anyway.

It is noted in the configuration that you need 'sudo' access.
If you don't you have to setup the PATH.

A long term solution would be for the persons needing lzma
to fix it so that it is used from STAGING_DIR.

Maybe the Linux compile should do:

make LZMA=$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin/lzma -C $(LINUX26_DIR)

> Thomas.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson