[Buildroot] Buildroot and Linux/ARM on AT91SAM9260

Ivan Kuten ivan.kuten at promwad.com
Mon Dec 17 20:33:56 UTC 2007

>> /sbin/init: can't Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>> load library 'libgcc_s.so.1'
>>
>> I checked that there is no libgcc_s.so.1 in rootfs image but I have
>> BR2_GCC_SHARED_LIBGCC=y
>> May be that is a cause why you not getting working rootfs.
>

> I'm not using a shared libgcc. It's just freezing after the freeing of
> the initrd memory about the time it should be booting up init. I guess
> my next step is to start throwing in some printk's to see exactly
> where it's dying.
>
> Of course, I can't get a 2.6.23 kernel to even boot at all, but that
> may be the same toolchain issues. My 2.6.21.6 kernel seems to be
> working ok -- that was built with my gcc 4.0.4 based toolchain, the
> only version I've been able to get successful boots from.
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Ordway                           E-mail: rordway at oregonstate.edu
> Unix Systems Administrator               rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
> OSU Libraries, Corvallis, OR 97331    Office: Valley Library #4657

Ryan,

Yes, now I have the same symptoms
After buildroot rebuild libgcc_s.so.1 placed correctly (btw need to investigate why it was not placed there for the
first time). but when booting ramdisk is mounted and then freeze.
I suggest to try run your rootfs via qemu emulator, adjust only console device.

Folks who using ARM buildroot, please tell us your working configs!

Regards,
Ivan