[Buildroot] Buildroot and Linux/ARM on AT91SAM9260

Ryan Ordway rordway at oregonstate.edu
Tue Dec 18 00:24:40 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 3:36 PM, Ivan Kuten wrote:

>>> Correct. My 2.6.21.6 kernel is about 1.1MB. My 2.6.23.9 kernel is >
>>> 4MB. I get the "Uncompressing Linux....." etc. then a few gibberish
>>> characters and then it freezes. I'm assuming something is wacky
>>> about
>>> that particular toolchain combination. I'll try using binutils 2.17
>>> and see if that helps.
>> Oh, and the build that I have working thus far is:
>>
>> svn snapshot from 05/21/2007 + Atmel patches from Ulf
>> gcc 4.0.4
>> binutils 2.17
>> uClibc 0.9.28.3
>> kernel 2.6.21.6 + atmel patches for 2.6.21
>> EABI
>>
>> This has been working great for me since May/June, but I want to
>> start
>> working towards uClibc 0.9.29 and/or the most recent snapshots once
>> the ARM NPTL stuff hits trunk. I've been having some weird threading
>> problems using LinuxThreads.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ryan
>>

> As I see we have 2 problems:
> 1) binutils 2.18 generate incorrect kernel image at least for 2.6.23
> kernel: probably on this step:
> arm-linux-objcopy -O binary -R .note -R comment -S vmlinux arch/arm/
> boot/Image
>
> 2) invalid rootfs binaries generated by svn toolchain

 From what I've seen, at least for ARM, it's very toolchain dependent.
I've tried different versions of gcc, binutils and uClibc, with and
without EABI, using soft float and not. The only combination that has
worked reliably for me has been the combination I listed above. You
might try an older snapshot of buildroot from around May and try gcc
4.0.4. That's the only compiler version I've gotten to work reliably.

I did finally get a build of the latest trunk of buildroot, but it had
a lot of problems. sshd and other non-busybox applications segfault.
This was using gcc 4.2.1, binutils 2.18 and a snapshot of uClibc from
early december, using softfloat and EABI. I've had to focus on some
other issues so I haven't gotten back to it yet. This was still with
my 2.6.21.6 kernel I'd built previously, still cannot get a working
2.6.23 kernel with that toolchain.

Ryan

Ryan Ordway                           E-mail: rordway at oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator               rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
OSU Libraries, Corvallis, OR 97331    Office: Valley Library #4657