[Buildroot] [buildroot 0000592]: Passing the "j" option to tar causes /dev to be populated incorrectly.

bugs at busybox.net bugs at busybox.net
Mon Feb 12 13:48:21 UTC 2007

The following issue has been ASSIGNED.
http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=592
Reported By:                mikee
Assigned To:                buildroot
Project:                    buildroot
Issue ID:                   592
Category:                   Other
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             12-09-2005 14:10 PST
Last Modified:              02-12-2007 05:48 PST
In the menuconfiguration, you can select to tar the root file system once
it is built. There is also a place to pass options to tar. If you pass the
'j' option (compress the archive using bzip2), the contents of the /dev/
folder will just be regular files instead of character devices and such.

Also, perhaps a test should be run on the options passed to tar and if 'z'
or 'j' are included, rename the end file to rootfs_xxx.tar.gz or
rootfs_xxx.tar.bz2.

 vapier - 12-09-05 18:33
i'm pretty sure this is unrelated to tar at all

last i checked, the device nodes were always screwed up

 mikee - 12-10-05 09:07
I guess I can't say for sure that this is a tar thing or not.
Here is what I did:

- make menuconfig
- pass the "j" option to tar
- make
- sudo cp rootfs_xxx.tar /usr/local/nfs-export-dir
- cd /usr/local/nfs-export-dir
- sudo tar -xjf rootfs_xxx.tar
- ls -l dev

This is when I noted that the device nodes had not been
properly created. So, I went back to the buildroot directory
and did:

- rm rootfs_xxx.tar
- make menuconfig
- clear passing the "j" option to tar
- make
- sudo cp rootfs_xxx.tar /usr/local/nfs-export-dir
- cd /usr/local/nfs-export-dir
- sudo tar -xjf rootfs_xxx.tar
- ls -l dev

This time, everything was fine. I've noticed this happen
before as well but can't say for certain that passing
the "j" option to tar always messes it up.

Perhaps this is just a general bug in the script used
to create the device nodes?

--mikee

Issue History
Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
12-09-05 14:10  mikee          New Issue
12-09-05 14:10  mikee          Status                   new => assigned
12-09-05 14:10  mikee          Assigned To               => uClibc
12-09-05 18:33  vapier         Note Added: 0000756
12-10-05 09:07  mikee          Note Added: 0000757
02-10-06 12:44  prpplague      Status                   assigned => closed
02-10-06 12:44  prpplague      Resolution               open => won't fix
02-10-06 12:44  prpplague      Additional Information Updated

02-12-07 05:48  vapier         Status                   closed => assigned
02-12-07 05:48  vapier         Assigned To              uClibc => buildroot