[Buildroot] chown 0 <file> fails while generating root file system

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Sun Jan 14 18:41:15 UTC 2007

I am using buildroot-2006-11-01 with my own modifications.
When generating the root file system file (JFFS2/EXT2)
at the end, a file "install.sh" is called in build_arm/sudo-<ver>
which will chown some files to be owned by root.

This fails, since I am running as a normal user
so all files are owned by the user make'ing the buildroot.

I upgraded the operating system to OpenSuse 10.2 and this
generated error messages of type: (translated from Swedish)

chown: changing owner of "<file>": Operation not allowed

Is this a known problem?
I have not seen this error message when using OpenSuse 10.1
on the same buildroot sources.

If known, has it been fixed in later version?

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
ulf at atmel.com
GSM:  +46 (706) 22 44 57