[Buildroot] Target support for Atmel ARM/AVR32

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Thu Jan 25 12:42:20 UTC 2007

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 12:58:57AM +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> Bernhard Fischer wrote:

> [snip]
>> My goal is to have people download the buildroot source,
>> then copy a .config file to the topdir and type "make".
>> Then everything should work without surprises.
>>
>> "Grand-Ma" should be able to do it!
>>
>> Many people that will uses this will be complete new to Linux and
>> the thing below looks dangerous if you want to avoid support phone
>> calls.
>>
>> The question is really, will a patch be rejected if it is built up
>> as above?
>
> If the TODO that is mentioned in r17516 would be fixed, would that
> help that problem in any way? I, personally, don't use the concept of
> a board in the context of buildroot. Put that aside, what about this
> layout:
> -) same for build_
> -) board_<device> as default COPY_TO
>
> where
> $device is target/device/*
> $arch would be generic arch e.g. i386, arm
> $subarch is the real -march=
> $cpu is the real -mtune=
>
> Opinions?

That is a different problem.
I can either build an ARM based buildroot or an AVR32 based buildroot.
They will build in: build_arm and build_avr32, same for toolchain.

My problem is that I want to build for
AT91RM9200DK    -ARM920T
AT91RM9200DF     -ARM920T
AT91RM9200EK     -ARM920T
AT91SAM9260EK  -ARM926EJS
AT91SAM9261EK  -ARM926EJS
AT91SAM9263EK  -ARM926EJS
AT91SAM9XEEK   -ARM926EJS
using a common toolchain
(The toolchain is generic arm, even though I use different CPU cores)
and maybe a common root file system (today it is).

This means that
* 7 different Linux versions,
* 7 different U-boot
* 7 different bootstraps.
Possibly, the root file system should be populated differently.

When I have built a board, I want to have all binaries stored
in one place which can be easily compressed into a tarball.

Your suggestion is more for building different toolchains for different
boards
but this is not the case.

It is a big bonus, If I do not have to recompile the root file system
packages, just because I build support for a new board.

> PS: r17516 was, for your convenience:
> http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=17516&view=rev

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson