[Buildroot] What is the proper procedure to commit a patch?

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 10:21:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 02:35:32PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>Now, when I have access, I would like to understand the proper
>procedure to add patches.

>The patches I'd like to add are mainly:

>* A few extra packages.

Which packages are you going to add?

>* Bump versions on a number of packages which has disappeared from their download location.
>        (dash, rmp, l2tp, mpfr,mrouted, openntpd, portage, pppd,udev)

Ok, a general thing that we do _not_ want to do is to accumulate too
many patches, as a general rule of thumb. Please, please try to push
patches to upstream, otherwise version bumps are getting cumbersome over
time. Obviously it is a good thing to improve a package, but upstream
authors/maintainers should fix their stuff and not rely on their users
to repeatedly fixup on behalf of the real maintainer.