[Buildroot] What is the proper procedure to commit a patch?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Sat Jul 7 13:46:47 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernhard Fischer" <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com>
To: "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf at atmel.com>
Cc: <buildroot at uclibc.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] What is the proper procedure to commit a patch?

>>> What's that good for? Just curious, this is just cosmetics.

>>> Which "distributed linux configuration" do you mean?
>>>

>>I'd like to have the configuration and makefile in the same directory.
>
> I don't like to have it in the same directory.
>
>>Now the configuration is in a different directory.
>
> Yes, and that's a feature. You (or the board) can easily set
> BR2_PACKAGE_LINUX_KCONFIG to anything you want. It was added for exactly
> this purpose.

Again a misunderstading unfortunately.
I am talking about the way buildroot configures linux in target/device/Config.in etc.
I am not talking about the file which will be copied to the linux .config.

So I would like to have:

target/linux/Makefile.in
target/linux/Config.in

instead of

target/linux.mk
target/device/Config.in (which contains a lot of other stuff)

>>The current linux.mk is much less flexible than the one I use.
>
> You keep saying this, ISTR.
> What does not work currently as opposed to "yours"?
> Did you try to use the currently existing one, recently?

My current tree is about 5 weeks old, and if improvements
have been made, then the less the change...

>>Once we have the linux in a good place, then I will submit
>>my proposals to the mailing list.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson