[Buildroot] cp -dpR fails on BSD systems -- advice on resolving?

Heikki Lindholm holindho at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 7 18:31:17 UTC 2007

Allan Clark kirjoitti:
> Hi everyone;
>
> I ran into a problem when I moved from uclibc-snapshot to
> uclibc-0.9.28 or 0.9.29: the "cp" command is a non-Unix option: "cp
> -a" or "cp -dpR", or "cp --no-dereference"
>
> I assume it's on Linux, and works, so those of us doing something
> funky (like BSD or MacOSX) invite a few problems.
>
> I'm wondering if the fix should be:
> 1) submit compatible patches to the group, using an older
> syntax/options for all hosts, or
> 2) detect, and download/build/use a replacement (same way I did for
> gmake, as was done for sed)

OT: Any particular reason you're using a Chinese charset? Anyway, issues
of cp have been discussed before on this list. And there are bug reports
about it in the tracker. I suppose nothing conclusive was ever reached.
In the case of uClibc, one could imagine replacing the cp with the tar
trick that's used in the SVN trunk, but the problem, as you surely know
by now, has much wider manifestation over buildroot, and should be dealt
with some uniform, generally agreed upon, way everywhere.

-- Heikki Lindholm