[Buildroot] Install to /lib usr /usr/lib ?

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:09:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 06:38:55PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>tor 2007-07-12 klockan 17:48 +0200 skrev Julien Letessier:
>> Dear buildroot maintainers,
>>
>> For the relative newcomer I am, there seems to be a lot of
>> inconsistency in buildroot for package installation directories.
>>
>> From what I undrestand, the policy is to install packages:
>> * under $(STAGING_DIR)/{bin,lib,include} and $(STAGING_DIR)/{bin,lib}
>> for the toolchain (e.g. uclibc)
>> * under $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/{bin,lib,include} and
>> $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/{bin,lib} for other packages (e.g. gtk)
>>

>As I interpret things,
>Only host tools should be installed in $(STAGING_DIR)
>
>Target tools gets installed somewhere in $(TARGET_DIR) which
>now is defined to be project_build_ARCH/$(PROJECT)/root
>

>> Is this correct?
>>
>> If so, we have a problem.
>> Half the of the package/*/*.mk use one option, half use the other.
>> As I "svn uped" today, the fontconfig package I had a hard time
>> patching broke, because expat decided AGAIN to install directly under
>> /lib.
>>
>> Please, please establish a clear policy on this, so we can start
>> submiting patches
>
>I think that /usr/bin/X11 might be the right directory to
>use, at least for your X11R7 stuff.

wasn't the new LSB directive that even X11 binaries should go to
/usr/bin and *not* into /usr/bin/X11Rwhatever.proto_rev

>I would check where the package is located on my normal linux host
>and select the same install dir for the buildroot target.

Well yes, to some extent. Alot of distros violate LSB in various ways.
Since debian is (last time i looked) the distribution that violates LSB
least (only a very few violations, really), you can settle to follow
suit what debian does.

If you are unlucky and don't have a current debian-box then either do
yourself a favour and install it, or go to packages.debian.org/ and
select "search content of packages" to see where the stuff should be
installed to.

HTH,