[Buildroot] Building debug version of kernel

Jerry Richards jerryr at tonecommander.com
Mon Jul 16 16:36:51 UTC 2007

I did enable the "make menuconfig" option for
Kernel_Hacking-->Compile_the_kernel_with_debug_info", but I do not see any
symbols/source-code in my debugger.  I am using a Lauterbach TRACE32
in-circuit debugger that operates on the vmlinux ELF file containing
symbol/source-code information.

Is there any other options that might cause symbols to be stripped from the
vmlinux file?

Also, could you confirm the following build procedure for a cross-compiled
platform?

	1) In <>/buildroot, execute "make".
	2) In <>/buildroot/build_m*/lin*, execute "make".
	3) In <>/Apps, execute "make".
	4) Copy application(s) to <>/buildroot/build_m*/root/...
	5) In <>/buildroot, execute "make" again (to get apps into
	   compressed CRAMFS/SQUASHFS).
	6) Done.

Jerry