[Buildroot] Easier adding of new packages / alsa-lib & utils

Benjamin Tietz benjamin at micronet24.de
Sat Jun 9 12:12:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:53:01AM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> >> As I see it we lack three things in the build.
> >> 1) Ability to use backup sites if the main site is temporarily or permanently down.
> > To 1) The main problem, I think, is that somebody has to maintain these
> > backup-addresses or to provide a backup-server containing all possibly
> > needed files. The rest of the problem is easy, as it can be solved
> > either by a scipt wrapping wget or by a File-downloading-rule caring
> > about backup-locations
> >

> I think buildroot should contain the mechanism to do it,
> and the user should be able to provide a backup server location.
> I have seen discussions where the conclusion is that if someone
> wants to be compliant with GPL, then they need to provide the source
> for everything, so everyone using buildroot in products
> needs to provide their own backup server.

To implement the mechanism isn't the problem. The problem is to maintain
either the backup-server or the backup-locations. For the first case you
have to find also a solution to the problem, who is allowed to place new
package-sources there. If everybody can write, the serverspace will be
abused very soon. If not everybody, but only a few people, can write
there, then how will new packages find their way to this location,
especially when maintained by other people.

under http://buildroot.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-sources/ you even
can find such a backup-directory. The last update was on Jan 11 2005.

> >> 2) Handling of distributions.    I.E. ability to specify which package version you
> >>     want to build in a way which is separated from the package build script.
> > To 2) This is a more difficult problem since you have to give the user a
> > chance to specify all supported versions. If you want to integrate it
> > into the current configuration-process you would have to specify a field
> > or list for every single package - Leaving the user alone with the
> > decision of hundred of different versions.
>
> As I envision the mechanism, you should be able to generate a file containing
> all the current versions using a simple command.
>
> I.E:     make distrib
>
> Each package makefile fragment would contain.
>
> <package>-distrib:
>             echo <package>_VER    >> .distrib
> ---------------
>
> The Config.in should have a configuration string which, if not empty,
> the file, with the filename in the string should be included by Makefile
> in the beginning.
>
> ---------------
> The makefile fragment in each package should test if
> <package>_VER is defined, and if not, it should define it.

That would be possible... But remember, that for such an distributional
package you only should save the versions of the software _in use_.
Maybe in some days I could send a real solution

> Alternatively, you always have a configuration file containing the version info
> and you either use this or you use your own,
>
> I see the use of this functionality as a help for newbies, where people with more
> experience select the package versions and create a distribution which are then used
> by people less experience.,
>

> > According to the introduction, we would have enough up to here :)
> >

> >> 3) Ability to generate binary packages which can be added/removed from
> >>     the root fs.
> >>
> > To 3) You have something like this, even if it could be improved. If you
> > "make package" the first time you build and install the package. If you
> > afterwards do "make package-clean" you remove it from the rootfs. Doing
> > "make package" again installs the stuff...
> >

> But it requires that you have access to the package compile tree which is sometimes undesirable.

I think, I've understand your problem... Let me think about