[Buildroot] modutils and kernel 2.6.33 - Unresolved symbols

ing. Federico Fuga fuga at studiofuga.com
Fri Mar 9 11:46:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have some trouble while creating an installation with the kernel
2.4.33 + RTAI patches 3.4
The kernel is woking good but I cannot load any module.
The error reported by modutils is some unresolved symbols, printk and
kalloc for example. the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS option is not an issue - the
problem is present with and without that option - remark that I always
rebuild the entire kernel tree and modules so there is not any mismatch
between the modversions.
I noticed that

- sometimes the kernel i built with the modversions
incerrectly, that means that  /proc/ksyms  reports for example
printk__ver_prink instead of printk_R_xxxxx . it seems a compilation
error.

- it seems that modutils cannot resolve the symbols, because if depmod
or insmod reports printk not present, I can see that /proc/ksyms haves
printk -- without the modversions, for example.

- ksyms -a reports nothing

Anyone experienced something like this?

Thank you in advance!
Regards