[Buildroot] [buildroot 0001279]: bad compiler version discover in dependencies.sh

bugs at busybox.net bugs at busybox.net
Wed Mar 21 11:00:16 UTC 2007

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=1279
Reported By:                Franck78
Assigned To:                buildroot
Project:                    buildroot
Issue ID:                   1279
Category:                   Architecture Specific
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             03-20-2007 15:19 PDT
Last Modified:              03-21-2007 04:00 PDT
Hello,
I don't know wheter or not $HOSTCC have to be defined before lauching
'make'.

Anyway, when not configured, the following test fails:
COMPILER=$(which $HOSTCC)

'which' gracefully respond with helps text....
that next $XSED is unable to understand ;)

file:
toolchain/dependencies/dependencies.sh; line
http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=208#152

Bye

 Franck78 - 03-20-07 15:37
same for $HOSTCXX, next test.

Note also 'head' is used before testing presence by the script.

 bernhardf - 03-21-07 01:07
HOSTCC and HOSTCXX are optional.

Please post the exact error you are seeing.

I don't understand why you point to an unrelated comment? Please
elaborate.

 Franck78 - 03-21-07 02:55
Hello,

Just log all the make programs output to see details of the error.
Or ever simpler: go directly in dependencies subir and lauch
dependencies.sh.
It tests every needed support program presence (except for 'head')
and it completly fails the compiler test version
WHEN HOSTCC IS NOT SET (then HOSTCXX)
Can't be more clear than that, sorry.

Asking 'which something' returns pathto something
Asking 'which' returns which's syntax usage.

Guess what happens when HOSTSCC is empty....

Franck

 Franck78 - 03-21-07 03:11
I understand why you don't understand the comment...

The link-pointer was a real text entered by me and it is the mantis bug
tracking system that replaced it.

http://busybox.net/bugs/view.php?id=222#172=> was "~~ line 172
~x172

 bernhardf - 03-21-07 04:00
foo=$(which) does not print anything for me.

what version of which do you see this with?

i replaced the use of head with sed -e '1d', please svn up and let me know
if that's better now.

PS: If you don't provide a copy and paste of the error you are getting
from dependencies.sh with HOSTCC and HOSTCXX unset, then i'll blissfully
ignore this part of your report. Thanks for your understanding.

Issue History
Date Modified   Username       Field                    Change
03-20-07 15:19  Franck78       New Issue
03-20-07 15:19  Franck78       Status                   new => assigned
03-20-07 15:19  Franck78       Assigned To               => buildroot
03-20-07 15:20  Franck78       Issue Monitored: Franck78
03-20-07 15:37  Franck78       Note Added: 0002259
03-21-07 01:07  bernhardf      Note Added: 0002260
03-21-07 02:55  Franck78       Note Added: 0002261
03-21-07 03:11  Franck78       Note Added: 0002262
03-21-07 04:00  bernhardf      Note Added: 0002263