[Buildroot] Iptables incompatible with linux-headers!

Mats Erik Andersson mats.andersson64 at comhem.se
Tue May 15 09:58:08 UTC 2007

I have been able to reproduce the strange phenomenon
that a buildroot setting of

gcc-3.4.4
binutils-2.17
buildroot-20070514
uClibc-0.9.28.3
busybox-1.5.0
linux-headers-2.4.27
dropbear
iptables-1.3.7 (and 1.3.5)

cannot compile

    iptables-1.3.7/extensions/libipt_string.c

due to non-existing structure members of ipt_string_info.
However, when I finally got the idea to alter the value
inside

      package/iptables/iptables.mk

to explicitely replace the header reference by the directory

       KERNEL_DIR=/tmp2/linux-2.4.27

where I separately compiled the kernel, the previous failure is
changed into success.

Until today I have only used Buildroot for 2.6-kernels
and I did never encounter the same failure. Would someone
venture to call this a bug, or is it my handling that could
have caused my troubles? Aside from one complaint on getopt.h
when I aimed at a SuSv3-version, the above was the only trouble
I had in this setting.

Regards,   Mats Erik Andersson