[Buildroot] Wrong Image/zImage for arm 926T toolchain?

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Thu Nov 22 14:55:23 UTC 2007

Hi Eric,

On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:39 PM, udmd-eric wann wrote:

>        The new toolchain build the kernel "vmlinux" is only about 1M
>        However, I find linux-2.6.23/arch/arm/bootp/Image is very large
>        and zImage is >3M ....
>
>        If I use my previous toolchain, the output zImage is only
> 500K...
>        I guest my objectcopy is wrong...
>        What's wrong with my setting? Could anybody give me a hint...

Your arch/arm/boot/Image is ~3GB, right? I had that too and it drove
me nuts for several hours. The explanation is that recent versions
(2.18) of binutils get confused about .note.gnu.build-id sections and
produce garbage then. The solution is to eigther use 32bit-only
userspace binaries to build your toolchain and kernel or to apply the
following patch to your kernel tree.

http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/linux/linux-
rp-2.6.22%2B2.6.23-rc4/binutils-buildid-arm.patch?rev=2726&view=markup

Hope that helps.

Greets,
Daniel