[Buildroot] AVR32 4.1.2 toolchain build issues [was svncommit:trunk/buildroot: target/device target/device/Atmel targetetc...]

Hans-Christian Egtvedt hcegtvedt at atmel.com
Tue Oct 16 11:46:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 12:32 +0100, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Hans-Christian Egtvedt <hcegtvedt at atmel.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 02:46 +0100, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> >
> > The AVR32 fork has the bootloader in target/bootloader/u-boot, and is
> > quite different from the one in the Atmel directory.
>
> Different how? Version? If it is still the Das U-Boot, how different can it be?

It is the latest release + some from upstream GIT and some from Atmel
GIT. Mainly NGW100 support from Atmel GIT.

> > > Btw, is there a reason why u-boot is buried into Atmel folder?
> > > Shouldn't other archs/chips use it as well?
> > >

> > The AVR32 fork on atmel.no tries to do the bootloader general for all
> > archs.
>
> Yes. I've noticed that :)
> But I don't see any merges any time soon.... but when one does happen,
> that should mean a little bit less effort.

Depends what you mean by soon, it will probably be after the first
stable release with all the features enabled by default working.

> Btw, still on the subject, how about bringing those snapshots a few
> hundred revisions up to date? For instance, all the BR_avr32 checks
> are backwards in the 2 trees, generating several stupid and avoidable
> diffs.... Again, this is more work when/if a merge occurs. And I hope
> it does.

I will sync after the next release, I also plan to get out a GIT
repository for those who want easier access to the Atmel specific fork.

> > > Hopefully I will come back with patches once more (have a better
> > > qtopia building, in a single stage, on the works).
> > >

> > You can't, Qtopia hard codes the path to the libraries inside the
> > libraries. I have tried and ended up having to do a two stage build. One
> > for staging_dir and one for the target dir.
>
> Yes, I know. But it's mostly used on qmake to generate the project,
> and that you should link against the stuff in the staging_dir. It
> should also be used for plugin loading, but that can be overridden in
> several ways. I have to check on the docs. At the worst case, it
> should still be possible to sed qconfig.cpp (which is where the
> hardcoded stuff lies), then rebuild from the already built tree, so
> it's only 1 file to compile + link of everything else.

It sounds really nice, would reduce the compile time and disk usage a
lot.

> Besides, there is a lot of hardcoded configure options in there that I
> don't really like, so, I'm adding config options to those in the
> kconfig. For one, forcing on libjpeg isn't very nice :)

More config options are welcome (-: When I started on Qtopia, the build
process in Buildroot was not working at all.

--
With kind regards,
Hans-Christian Egtvedt, Applications Engineer