[Buildroot] (AT91RM9200/DATAFLASH) Unable to create a *working* jffs2 rootfs.

Jorge S. jorgesolla at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 11:30:11 UTC 2007

Hi Michael,Ulf and all:

I did what you sugested:

I'm using an EXT2 initrd with all the flash_tools.

# ./flash_erase /dev/mtd2
Erasing 1 Kibyte @ 6067e0 -- 99 % complete.
# mkdir /mnt/flash
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt/flash
JFFS2 write-buffering enabled buffer (1056) erasesize (8448)
JFFS2 notice: (298) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr
subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0
orphan) found.
# cd /mnt/flash/
# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         1024 Dec 31 17:05 ..
# cd ..
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usb type msdos (rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp850)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /mnt/flash type jffs2 (rw)

# /mnt/usb/armtool/flash_info /dev/mtd2
Device /dev/mtd2 has 0 erase regions

The procedure looks working fine, i also issued a "flash_info" just for
testing and enabled the debug messages for jffs2 on my kernel.

After the flash_erase procedure using the initrd, i reboot the system, then
using u-boot "loadb" command, i dump the JFFS2 rootfs to the DataFlash and
set the kernel bootargs to boot from /dev/mtdblock2.

Now i have a different behavior while booting but *still* no success, this
is what the kernel says when booting:

JFFS2 write-buffering enabled buffer (1056) erasesize (8448)
JFFS2 notice: (1) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr
subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0
orphan) found.
VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 132K
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

... and stays here forever. (I know this warning comes from the kernel not
seeing the /dev/console device...so i assume its unable to properly mount
the rootfs)

 As Ulf is suggesting, i think there's something wrong when using
mkfs.jffs2to create the jffs2 filesystem.

Questions:

1)  Do you guys have a ready-made jffs2 image proben to work that i can use
to check my system? If your image works, then i can discard my kernel/u-boot
configuration and focus on a possible problem when the mkfs.jffs2 process is
being done.

2) Are there any "must have" options enabled on the kernel configuration to
deal with MTD rootfs? Maybe i'm missing something.

3) Any other ideas? I'm getting crazy on this :(

As usual, BIG thanks helping and sorry about my poor english.