[Buildroot] Several issues with building multiple "projects" for same architecture

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Oct 30 00:10:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:50:07PM +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> mån 2007-10-29 klockan 10:55 -0500 skrev Jonathan Nalley:
> > I am using the buildroot to build for several different boards, some
> > of them have the same CPU architecture (PPC405GP/EP).  I have noticed
> > some issues with the "project" concept in the buildroot.  Since the
> > builds are for the same architecture the toolchain is created under
> > "build_powerpc".  Everything works fine for the first board, but for
> > subsequent builds for different "project" names things are missing
> > under "project_build_powerpc/PROJECT_NAME/root".  Specifically:
> >
> > /root/lib/libgcc_s.so
> > /root/usr/lib/libstdc++.so
> > /root/usr/sbin/ethtool
> >
> > This is because the make files that install those files check for:
> >
> > $(GCC_BUILD_DIR2)/.libs_installed

There's another problem with this approach. If you are modifying the
target_skeleton contents you might want to nuke the generated root
directory and have it rebuilt, but then libgcc_s.so (etc) won't be
re-copied.

> Here is a first attempt to fix this,
> I have not tested it yet myself though.
>
> The idea is to create a $(DEP_DIR) directory in $(PROJECT_BUILD_DIR)
> and then to generate a $(<package>).installed in this directory.

This doesn't solve the problem I note either, although I guess you could
also delete *.installed. Why not just depend on the actual target rather
than these stamp files?

thanks,
Hamish