[Buildroot] this commit breaks x86_64 toolchain builds

Roderick Taylor myopiate at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:54:35 UTC 2007

On 12/09/2007, Bernhard Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:45:09AM +1000, Roderick Taylor wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see how the patch mentioned below is the culprit?
> >
> >the "-" infront of the cp means ignore errors.  When you build for
> >x86_64, buildroot puts libgcc_s* etc. in $(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)/lib64
> >not in lib.  so this line will produce an error, and because the patch
> >stops make from ignoring this, the build stops.
> >
> >-      -cp -dpf $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/$(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)/lib/libgcc_s*
> >$(TARGET_DIR)/lib/
> >+      cp -dpf $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/$(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)/lib/libgcc_s*
> >

> >> Isn't there a target_gcc_lib_dir we should rather use?
> >>

> >I don't know.   I know we can either modify the gcc build to install
> >into lib instead of lib64 but I haven't tried it.
>
> If the cp errors are ignored, you'd have no libgcc on the target, is
> that assumption correct? If so, the we have to handle lib64 in a better
> way. Please verify and let me know..
>
> TIA,

Yes, libgcc is missing from the target, but I'm not having any
problems running programs (Although, the only programs I've tested
busybox and lspci)

I think a better way is to configure gcc to use
$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/$(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)/lib and not lib64

Here is an small patch for gcc to do this.  I have tested it with
gcc-4.2.1 in buildroot and it works.  i.e. libgcc_s.so* are placed in
$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/$(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)/lib and subsequently copied
to the target.