[Buildroot] Qtopia4 Failure

Adam Hawes adam at infocab.com.au
Mon Sep 24 01:06:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 01:56 +0100, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> shouldn't you patch uClib instead? Claiming index with a define is
> really stupid on the part of the library. Others, including myself use
> index as variable names quite often.

Do you use index()?  The macro accepts 2 arguments and the pre-processor
only seems to baulk when you use a function or method called index(...).
Variable names appear unproblematic.

Fixing uClibc would be the sensible thing to do, and uClibc actually has
a configuration option to turn off the legacy macros.  Turning them off,
however, breaks compatibility with a few things (mplayer was the most
recent one I found that wouldn't build with SUSv3 macros disabled).

I found it easier to patch Qtopia because it was the only thing that
didn't like the macros that I have found thus far.

So please keep in mind that there is not one universal solution - there
are a few options depending on the needs.  My patch fixes Qtopia for
those people who need the SUSv3 legacy macros in other places.  For
everyone else there's the configuration option of the library!