[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/target/linux

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:01:50 UTC 2008

Ulf,

   I for one use buildroot from an ssh shell, even thought the
building machine is right besides me. A default that requires X is
unreasonable, give that buildroot doesn't check for X, and doesn't
require X either. I too back up the others on the opinion that the
default behavior should be menuconfig.

>  I do not put this requirement on everyone else.
>  The default behaviour is
>  1) To not build a kernel at all or
>  2) To build a kernel using the classic behaviour.
>
>  Only by selecting two non-default behaviours you get
>  exposed to the "advanced" linux configuration
>  I have spent considerable time on during the last 9 months.

Actually, the default behavior for NGW100 and STK1000 is to use the
advanced linux configuration. And it's the only one that works at all
AFAIK.

>  This will default to xconfig for AT91/AVR32 chips,
>  but you have the option to select the menuconfig you want.

Which is exactly what most people seam to be using at the moment. At
least I haven't seen any target/device/Hitachi users, I doubt it even
builds new days.
Whenever I do an an{stk1002|ngw100}_defconfig, I have to craw thru a
bunch of menus and packages to change stuff (libdaemon doesn't build
on gentoo, using -j2 makes lot more sense than -j1, etc, etc....). Why
should a default config be tailored to a single user's needs?
IMHO it should be a reasonable minimum set of options most would be
happy with, and clearly xconfig isn't.

>  If someone wants a different behaviour,
>  then they can create yet another linux makefile.

That would just introduce more maintenance, just makes no sense.

>  > Even easier, change the setting in the defconfigs he works with.
>  >

Please don't. We might use ARMs too in the future. :)
What about the make BOARD=<name> save/get thing? I never used it
myself, but should work as an option.

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa