[Buildroot] Improper device nodes createdinside project_build_arm/uclibc/root/dev/

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Tue Apr 22 16:40:53 UTC 2008

>> Hi,
>>
>>  >> If this is what it is suppose to do, then how to mount the same for NFS
>>  >> boot.
>>
>>  Hamish> You could mount a generated image file somewhere via the loopback
>>  Hamish> device. Then you would have the devices that are in the image. ext2
>>  Hamish> would be a good choice. Do you want to write back to the root or not?
>>
>>  Hamish> Alternatively you could add a new target output format for NFS root.
>>
>> We already have that - tarball creation.
>
> Good point. So, Hebbar: just use the tarball target, and extract it somewhere
> (as root) for use by your target system. Don't mount the
> buildroot/project_build.../.../root directory directly as it won't
> contain the real devices.

Maybe we should have a configuration item allowing this to happen
automatically using "sudo".

I guess, in that case, we should have another
configuration item (defaulting to no) which enables use of "sudo".

If we decide to do this, then I think that we need to be pretty
careful so we do not allow to untar in the host "/" directory or
other directories which will destroy the host installation.

Maybe we should only allow it to be in "~/.buildroot/<project>/root".

Opinions?

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57