[Buildroot] Error:"Staging_dir/lib/libc.so.0: could not read symbols:file in wrong format" while "make" buildroot with xscale, gcc-4.2.3

Li Liang li.liang at neomeridian.com
Wed Apr 23 03:38:30 UTC 2008

The same error message appeared again as following while I executed "make" after
"make menuconfig"

/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/build_armeb/staging_dir/lib/libc.so.0:
could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_armeb/gcc-4.2.3-final/gcc'
make[3]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_armeb/gcc-4.2.3-final/gcc'
make[2]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_armeb/gcc-4.2.3-final'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_armeb/gcc-4.2.3-final'
make: ***
[/home/user/workspace/MFSP/uCroot/buildroot/toolchain_build_armeb/gcc-4.2.3-final/.compiled]
Error 2

I am using the following packages to build the tool-chain:

kernel 2.6.24
uClibc 0.9.29
binutils 2.18
gcc 4.2.3