[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/target/u-boot

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Apr 23 18:05:20 UTC 2008

 >> Author: jacmet
 >> Date: 2008-04-23 06:03:53 -0700 (Wed, 23 Apr 2008)
 >> New Revision: 21809
 >>
 >> Log:
 >> u-boot: tools in target (mkimage, fw_printenv and fw_setenv)
 >>

 Ulf> Why install mkimage in the target???

To create images and more importantly, to see the version info of
images in the flash (mkimage -l).

 Ulf> It is used to create the linux kernel image so that U-Boot can load it.
 Ulf> If you download a new image, I would expect it is already created
 Ulf> using mkimage on the host.

Sure, but uImages are not just for kernels, E.G. the board I'm working
on has firmware for 2 fpgas in seperate uImages. It's handy to be able
to check the version info of the installed images under Linux, similar
to the imls u-boot command.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard