[Buildroot] Improper device nodes createdinsideproject_build_arm/uclibc/root/dev/

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:00:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> wrote:

>  >> Sure, but where to stop? I think most if not all disk based needs are
>   >> covered by the existing tar/ext2/ext3 support.
>
>   Ulf> I am just talking about a configuration option which will
>   Ulf> write a file system generated using the existing options
>   Ulf> to the SD-Card card.
>
>   Ulf> config BR2_WRITE_SD_CARD
>   Ulf>         string    "Write to SD-Card in the /mnt area"
>   Ulf>         default "sdcard"

This is not enough. You will also want to initialize the card... if
it's brand new, it has FAT in it,not ext2. And, if it has been used
before, it can have files in it from previous builds that will not be
in the current build.
To add to the issue, it's a removable media, you will want to make
sure it's mounted.

>  Why special case SD cards? it can be any block device you want. What
>  about permissions?
>
>  I still think it's silly - What is next, add stuff to fire up a
>  terminal emulator (with config options for port and baudrate) and
>  upload file to bootloader?

I agree... If you want to go an extra mile for the users, why not add
a script to ~/buildroot/script? It could be customized to one's need
if it's not perfect.