[Buildroot] Makefile.autotools.in does not work wellwith projects

Hans-Christian Egtvedt hans-christian.egtvedt at atmel.com
Wed Aug 6 09:04:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 10:54 +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 08:31:54AM +0200, Hans-Christian Egtvedt wrote:
>
> >> Let me suggest to rename that variable to $(2)_TARGET_FILES
> >> and do
> >> $(2)_TARGET_INSTALL_TARGET = $(firstword $($(2)_TARGET_FILES))
> >>
> >> foo_tmp=$(firstword $($(2)_TARGET_FILES))
> >> or somthing like $(if $(foo_tmp),$(foo_tmp),$($(2).old_stamp_file))
> >>
> >> Reasoning:
> >> You really want to only have a few files in $(TARGET_DIR) as opposed to
> >> $(STAGING_DIR). Those $(2)_TARGET_FILES should ideally be the only files
> >> installed into the final image (think of a gazillion superfluous termcap
> >> entries or other unneeded files).
> >
> >Then you need to overwrite the install rule anyway, my patch was
> >intended to fix the general installation of applications.
> >
> >You seem to want a rule which will install only the binaries needed?
>
> Yes. Ideally only the needed files should end on the target.

My patch was intended to fix a bug/problem with the
Makefile.autotools.in, while your suggestion is more an enhancement.

It is indeed nice to have a list of files to install, but my patch does
not try to solve that problem.

I do not think it is strait forward to solve your suggestion either.

> >Some applications and libraries are actually installed quite minimal and
> >correct by using make DESTDIR install :)
>
> true, but for those who don't, such target files should be used.

The install to target rule also strips away any installed header files,
man pages and doc if you select to not have header files on target. So
it is quite sane for most packages.

--
With kind regards,
Hans-Christian Egtvedt, Applications Engineer