[Buildroot] efficient usb plug in notification

sjhill at realitydiluted.com sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Wed Aug 6 15:18:26 UTC 2008

> I'm trying to see what my best options are of getting USB plugin
> notifications in user-space in a buildroot/uClibc env.

Is this for USB storage devices only, or all types of USB devices?

> Since this is an embedded platform, I'm really concerned about
> efficiency of the mechanisms and I'm not sure how efficient udev +
> dbus + hal is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and what some
> reasonable alternatives are within the buildroot chain?

I used 'udev' in all my embedded platforms. I did the original work
of getting dbus and hal into buildroot, but it was a royal pain. If
you are just doing USB storage devices, look at the usbmount package.
It works great and I can certainly help you with that if you hit any
snags.

-Steve