[Buildroot] [RFC] First hack for external toolchain support based on sysroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Dec 3 08:31:03 UTC 2008

Le Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:14:00 +0000,
"Daniel Laird" <danieljlaird at hotmail.com> a écrit :

> I had done the first bit and not the second.  I will start to look at
> this. Perhaps the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS can go back to how they were
> when new started all this.
> eg LD="$(TARGET_LD) $(TARGET_LDFLAGS)"
>
> Does that work for DirectFB?

Maybe, I haven't tried.

> Cheers foe this good work, maybe we will have external toolchain
> working properly soon?

I hope so :-)

The nice advantage of the --sysroot solution is that it should work in
all cases, while the -rpath-link solution didn't work for Qtopia, for
example.

> My next question is - with sysroot set do we really need to set the
> SYSROOT option to pkgconfig? and do we need to sed all the .la files?

I'd say we still need them. Otherwise in a .la file you'll
have /usr/lib/libfoobar.a, and I don't think gcc will interpret that
relative to its --sysroot. But it remains to be checked.

Sincerly,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.