[Buildroot] Buildroot for target PowerPC 405 (on Xilinx XUPV2p Board)

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:37:31 UTC 2008

Please keep this on the mailing list, it may be helpful for others too.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 03:57:15PM +0100, Mirko ROCCO wrote:
>Ok, thanks, I realize that the problem was this... now buildroot seems to
>compile, but I have still a doubt: I'm using a kernel from Xilinx, with
>support for same IP core that i need for my board.
>
>So, can I use the .config file for Xilinx kernel even if it is not for a
>"native linux kernel"?

If the kernel is reasonable new then you can use that kernel and appropriate
.config, yes.

If you select Toolchain -> Kernel Headers -> Linux 2.6 snapshot then
a linux-2.6.tar.bz2 tarball is used which has to contain the kernel
sources in the "linux-2.6/" directory.

So, either you git clone git://kernel.org/.... linux-2.6
for an upstream kernel or you can
mv linux-kernel-2.6-from-vendor linux-2.6
# cd linux-2.6 && make mrproper
tar -cjf dl/linux-2.6.tar.bz2 linux-2.6
where "dl/" is the BR2_DL_DIR from your buildroot .config.