[Buildroot] sstrip and segmentation violation ( was: can't develope any programs using ssl in the root )

Ming-Ching Tiew mingching.tiew at redtone.com
Thu Jan 24 09:30:37 UTC 2008

From: "Thomas Lundquist" <lists at zelow.no>

> > BTW, the sstrip thingie looks to me also a bug. It happens to not
> > just SSL shared library. The uClibc libraries could also be
> > sstripped. This will be quite disasterous.
>
> Not unless you want to build within the buildroot. I do sstrip on all
> libraries on the resulting rootfs (floppyfw and others) but you are
> probably right about sstripping when you have
> CONFIG_BR2_PACKAGE_GCC_TARGET set.
>
> When building the floppyfw devkit I also set CONFIG_BR2_STRIP_none.
>
> I would consider it a but if any of the packages .mk files
> does strip anything even when CONFIG_BR2_STRIP_none is set.
>
> Bbut stripping the libraries when the target is a normal rootfs seems
> correct to me.

Oh I see. This buildroot thingie is rather new to me, so I am gaining
experience on it.

So it not quite a bug then, it is an not-so-obvious feature which
one can tumble on it. :-)

Last but not least, I seem to only get all the wrong things with me now.
I managed to compile the rootfs.i686.ext2, using a few different
combinations of gcc ( 3.4.6, 4.1.0, 4.2.0 ), uclibc version ( 0.9.28.3
and 0.9.29 ). But consistantly I get random segmentation violation
error when I compile stuff inside the rootfs. Looks like stack
corruption or something. Now perhaps I need to change my host
OS compiler instead ( I am using 4.1.2 20061028 ).

Anyone knows if the host compiler version will have an impact
on the quality of the rootfs ?

Regards.