[Buildroot] buildroot size ballooned

Chien-Yu Chen torus0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 19:01:01 UTC 2008

I had a similiar problem.  I found out what's going on, but can only use a
dirty trick to avoid the problem...

I enabled initramfs support...so when compiling, kernel compiling in the
filesystem build up so far.  then everytime I modify the root file system
and make, somehow, kernel compiling keep the original cpio image from the
previous make, and attach a new copy of the new file system.  so the kernel
keep on growing, thus the resulting output file system keep on getting
bigger.

so what I did is to bypass the fakeroot part, since I have a valid
filesystem ready by the time kernel is compiled, I take the final kernel
image, run it through grub and mkisofs to generate the CD image I want.  I
eventually want to put it on flash drive...but so far this works for me.

chen

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Thiago A. Corrêa <thiago.correa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Most likely there are new packages being enabled on the defconfig. Did
> you check that?
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Joseph G. Boike
> <joe.boike at acsatlanta.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:52:10 -0600
> >> From: "Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael at gnat.ca>
> >> Subject: Re: [Buildroot] buildroot size ballooned
> >> To: "Joseph G. Boike" <joe.boike at acsatlanta.com>
> >> Cc: build root <buildroot at uclibc.org>

> >> No idea, but a clarification, are you talking about buildroot's
> >> outputted final rootfs, or buildroot project in svn?
> >>

> > The final output file (rootfs.arm-2008xxxx.ext2.gz) to be burned into my
> > serial flash.
> > Regards,
> > Joe

Any MicroSoft extension file will directly go to trash without any warning
and regret.